REBT or Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy is interesting for psychological experts now because of its methods. With that, the program has been under extensive research by experts and the outcome of such studies has been favorable so far. REBT is an excellent program for people with specific mental health issues.
Of course, CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is widely used at this time, compared to REBT, but more and more specialists turn to Dr. Albert Ellis’ design. While CBT has more studies and evidence due to its popularity, REBT is also gaining some weight.
“Cognitive behavioral therapy, often shortened to CBT, focuses on recognizing negative thought patterns and changing thoughts and behaviors and feelings through concrete skills.” –Hannah Goodman, LMHC
Anyway, at this time, with supporting documents and evidence, some mental health issues can be treated by using REBT. Clinical applications were made, and REBT methods were employed which brought about success.
Here is the list: (This is not complete, though.)
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- General Anxiety Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Bulimia Nervosa, Anorexia Nervosa, Binge-Eating Disorder, and Body Image Issues
- Antisocial Behavior
- Anger Management
- Personality Disorders such as Paranoid Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and more
- Rape and Sexual Abuse
- Pain Management
- Stress Management
- Behavioral Disorders in Children and Teens
- Family Issues
- Bipolar A
There were at least three hundred clinical application studies involving REBT practice. They termed the first category as Diagnostic Category wherein application of the program showed positive effects on the person with mental health problems. Again, this is the Diagnostic Category, a list of mental health issues treated because the REBT application was valid.
- All types of Anxiety Disorders especially speech and social issues
- Many kinds of Phobia, both simple and complicated cases
- Emotional matters connected with Lisping, Stuttering, Obesity, Erectile Dysfunction, Chronic Heart Failure, At-Home Dialysis, Asthma, Insomnia, Vertigo, etc.)
- Neurological issues linked with Depression, Behavioral Problems, School Concerns (failing grades and stopping school), Issues with Accomplishments, and more.
- Varying situations like Fury, Bipolar A, Adjustment Stages, and the likes.
What Researchers Say About Their Findings In REBT Studies
- REBT is very useful in treating clinically diagnosed mental health issues. The list is long as mentioned above, which is also a positive point – people practice REBT methods by conditioning themselves to use REBT’s ABC model, instead of complying to a certain degree or practicing task-demand qualities.
“Therapy is intended to be a place to carefully and safely start to turn toward whatever it is you’ve got.” –Molly Bowman, MS, LPC
- Even in a non-clinical environment, REBT can be practiced with an efficient outcome. They are useful for both men and women that have an age range of nine years old to seventy years old.
- It can be applied through a one-on-one program between the REBT specialist and the client. Some also use the group REBT sessions with a high success rate.
- Therapists who are more qualified and with various training certifications in their resume will achieve a better result when using REBT.
- The more REBT sessions a client attends, the higher his chance of reaping its benefits. REBT is most effective when regularly practiced.
REBT is also useful if you are undergoing marital problems. It doesn’t mean that because REBT works for those with mental health issues only, you can’t use it anymore to fix your married life. You can try it. What have you got to lose? With this, “You definitely can hang on to your unique self, trusting you do know yourself enough, while still leaving space for another person to be their own true selves.” Psychotherapist Sona DeLurgio, PsyD, LMFT said.